Wednesday, November 3, 2010

There's a bit of Nerd in all of us...

image from we heart it


Confession time...I am a bit of a nerd.  I also regard myself as a bit of a dork, but that's a whole other post!

When I was in high school, I was so adamant that I was cool, but really deep down I was a nerd trying to be something I wasn't.  Now that I am older, wiser, and more mature, I am happy to embrace my inner nerd.

So why am I nerdy?

Well, I love stationery.  I love walking up and down the aisles of big stationery stores, checking out all the folders, paper, pens, post-its, etc.  And I would waste so much money buying millions of pens, different colours and sizes of post-its, funky binders and folders...all of which I didn't need.  I would get excited at the start of a new school year or university semester, thinking about all the great new stationery I would get.  I loved raiding the stationery cupboard at my old job.  At a different job, one of my responsibilities was to order all the stationery for the office.  Oh my goodness, I was in heaven!  Now that I am on a working holiday, I have had to go cold turkey with my addiction to stationery.  It doesn't mean that I haven't gone to Staples a few times just to have a look!

I also love writing.  And by writing I mean the physical act of writing.  I prefer to write than type on the computer.  I have changed my handwriting so many times throughout the years, trying to find my perfect script.  I used to waste so much time at school and uni writing and rewriting my homework and notes, making sure it was perfectly neat.  What a complete waste of time!  But I can't help myself.  I even found myself re-writing messages and notes at work yesterday, wanting to make them neater!  

I also love reading.  I love to have a huge stack of books on my bedside table.  I love going to the library, trawling through the shelves and uncovering great reads.  I love bookstores.  I love the smell of new books, and the smell of library books.  I love thinking about how many people have read the library book that I am currently reading.  I love second hand bookstores and books, and wondering what the history of the books are.  Who previously owned them, why did they decided to give it away?  I enjoy reading books, but I also enjoy thinking about books.  It upsets me when I have finished a book and I don't have another one ready to go.  

I loved being at university.  I loved long study days in the library, preparing for exams.  I loved going to class.  I didn't love the stress or assignments or exams, and probably not studying, but I think I just loved being part of university.  The books, the stationery, the coffee breaks, the library, the classes, the friends.  Sometimes I wish I could study something else, just so I can be at university again.

That's just a few of my nerdy tendencies.  Trust me, there are more.  Lots more.

What makes you nerdy?  Do you embrace your inner nerd?


2 comments:

  1. I hear you on the stationary! My addiction to pens etc is inherited from my dad. Most of my memories are of him laying on the floor of the lounge room, going through a shoebox full of pens and writing onto the paper. needless to say my desk at work has 3 pencil cases plus a stationary organiser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pens, and also have a serious addiction. When I was at uni I had 2 big pencil cases full, and still couldn't stop myself from buying more! When I was leaving my job in Brisbane, they couldn't believe the number of pens I had in my drawer...I was pretty embarrassed! They probably didn't need to go and buy any more pens for the office for the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete